OPAL ENGAGEMENT RINGS: HOW TO FIND THE PERFECT ONE FOR YOU
Looking for an engagement ring that's above and beyond the traditional colourless diamond? Well, we have great news for you! Saying 'Yes' to an opal engagement ring is now not only possible but trending, and our exclusive collection features many beautiful, betrothal-friendly designs created specially for this life-changing moment. An Australian opal is the ideal gemstone to celebrate your love and seal your forever. Natural, shining and resplendent with pure, brilliant colour, these unique gems symbolise love, passion and good health - could you want anything more to represent your lifelong union?
Opal Rings as Engagement Rings
Opal rings are a unique and increasingly popular choice for engagement rings. Looking for something a little outside the norm when it comes to your special piece? They offer a distinctive alternative to traditional diamond engagement rings, symbolising love, passion, and the beauty of individuality. Opal engagement rings usually come in fine quality yellow and white gold, sometimes platinum, and less commonly sterling silver. They feature sparkling accent diamonds or the opal is the centrepiece of the ring. It's really up to you!
However, there are a few considerations to keep in mind when choosing an opal engagement ring:
1. Protective Settings - Opt for opal rings with protective settings, such as bezel settings or halo designs, which can provide extra security and minimise the risk of the opal coming into direct contact with potential hazards. Super important for a ring you want to wear every day!
2. Opal Triplets - These are composite gemstones that feature a thin layer of opal glued onto a backing material with a quartz capping. While these can be more affordable, they may be less durable than solid opals and not really suitable for every day wear. If considering a triplet, ensure that it is well-made and from a reputable source, and ideally set into a bezel ring.
3. Personal Meaning - Opal engagement rings can hold deep personal meaning for couples who share a connection to opals, birthstones, or unique gemstones. Consider the symbolism and significance of opals in your relationship before making a decision.
If you and your partner are drawn to the beauty of opals and appreciate their symbolic meaning, this type of engagement ring can be a truly enchanting choice that sets your love story apart.
Black Opal Rings for Modern Brides
Among the most popular types in our opal ring collection are black opal engagement rings, which feature stunning, vividly coloured gemstones from Lightning Ridge with a black or dark grey body tone. These Lightning Ridge opal engagement rings shimmer with a brilliant spectrum of red, blue, yellow, green, purple and orange hues in fascinating patterns. Although on the more expensive side, rare black opal rings are absolutely worth the price tag. Unlike diamonds or other coloured gems which can all look the same, you will never find another black opal exactly like yours. And setting this gem in the finest quality yellow or white gold is an absolute must to reflect its premium quality and rarity.
Boulder Opal Rings On Trend For Love
If a pop of colour is your thing, you could also opt for an Australian boulder opal engagement ring. These stones are on par with a black opal for their vivid colour palette and dark body tone - but this time it's an earthy brown ironstone which can be left in the cut opal to give the stone a unique, natural look. Boulder opals - which are found exclusively in Queensland - are formed within ironstone rocks or 'boulders', hence their name. They often have a dark brown body colour and distinctive patterns, with bright colourful opal veins running through the host rock. Offering a rugged and raw beauty, these Queensland beauties could be the perfect choice for your own special engagement ring.
Say 'I Do' To A White Opal Ring
Whimsical, romantic and ethereal. If you're looking for a softer, more subtle opal engagement ring style, a solid white opal set into yellow or white gold could be for you. These gems, usually sourced at Coober Pedy in South Australia or White Cliffs in New South Wales, are a popular favourite for their bright flashes of vibrant or pastel colour set into a milk-like or light body tone stone. Wearing a white opal ring will let the gem's 'play of colour' really shine as it twinkles in the light on your engagement finger - which is sure to impress your friends and family who will be dazzled by its stunning beauty.
A Love As Pure As a Crystal Opal Ring
Crystal opals would have to be our favourite kind of opal to set into an engagement ring. Bright, sparkling and pure as their crystal-like body tone, crystal opal rings radiate with luminous neon colours mainly in blue, green, yellow, orange and pink. Sourced from Coober Pedy and Lightning Ridge, one of the key features of these gems is their transparency, which allows light to pass through the stone and enhance their ever-changing, vibrant palette. With a sleek and elegant look, they're the perfect choice for engagement rings with opal, be it a classic solitaire setting or a more intricate design.
Wedding Rings That Are Hot For Love
Whether you're looking for a dazzling symbol of everlasting love or an eye-catching accessory for that special day, rings set with opal are perfect for any wedding-themed occasion. Our gold opal engagement ring collection contains expertly handcrafted pieces that will add a touch of glamour and romance for years to come, set with opals that are high quality, one-of-a-kind ethically sourced Australian gems. We love educating our customers and visitors to our website about all things opal and why opal jewellery is the perfect choice not just for those born in October, but all of us. So read on about the 'Queen of Gems' and why an accessory like a ring can bring style, sophistication and a touch of unique beauty to your life.
The 'Queen of Gems' Will Steal Your Heart
Step into the enchanting world of opal rings where you'll find whimsical beauty from the rugged earth Australia's outback forged to create a token of modern elegance and style. With their mesmerising 'play of colour' phenomenon (where all the colours of the rainbow shimmer and shine as the stone is turned in the light), rings set with natural Australian opals have the hearts of jewellery enthusiasts across the world. From fiery reds and oranges to vibrant greens, shimmering blues and neon pinks, these gemstones embody an ethereal allure that is simply irresistible. While all types of opal jewellery is popular, today, opals have become one of the top choices for rings, including birthstone rings for people born in October and opal engagement rings.
History and Symbolism of Opals
We love that opals are such a symbolic gemstone. With a rich history dating back thousands of years, their origins are veiled in mystery and legend. In ancient days Greeks believed opals were formed from the tears of joy shed by Zeus when he defeated the Titans, while the Romans associated opals with hope and purity. In medieval times, opals were thought to bring good luck, and were considered a symbol of loyalty and faithfulness. Now that's the kind of gemstone you want to have by your side navigating knights, dragons and other medieval folk!
Opals are also said to possess a range of metaphysical properties, which are special powers the stone is believed to embody. Looking to add creativity to your life? Opals are said to enhance and inspire this, along with love and passion. And they are also said to promote emotional healing. Some cultures consider opals to be a stone of spiritual growth and transformation. Whether you believe in this, or simply appreciate their beauty and uniqueness, opal rings can be one of the most meaningful choices you will find in any jewellery store or online.
Types of Opals Used in Rings
Opals come in a variety of types, each with its own individual set of characteristics and qualities. Known for their unique 'play of colour', which is caused by the way the gemstone diffracts light, creating a captivating rainbow of hues that shift across the face of the stone, every opal unearthed is truly unique. From this colourful phenomenon to the combination of its patterns, origin, size and shape, you can take comfort knowing that your opal is like no other on the planet. And set it into a gorgeous shining gold or silver ring - even better! You'll have an accessory that will not only captivate you every day, but also everyone who glances at your fingers.
As covered earlier in this article, the most common types of opals used in rings are:
1. White Opals - Found mainly in South Australia, white opals are known for their milky white or light body colour. They often have a subtle iridescent glow and feature bright pastel colours, making them one of the most versatile choices for both casual and formal occasions.
2. Black Opals - Black opals from Lightning Ridge are the most valuable and sought-after types of Australian opals. They feature a dark-black body tone, which enhances the intensity and vibrancy of this gemstone's 'play of colour'. Black opals are often considered the pinnacle of opal beauty and are highly prized for their rarity. Did you know a black opal ring signifies a special and unique love bond between a couple?
3. Crystal Opals - Crystal opals have a transparent or semi-transparent body tone, allowing for flashes of fluorescent hues throughout the stone as it's turned in the light. Known for their clarity and brightness, these gems are one of the most popular choices for those who prefer a vibrant, ethereal look.
4. Boulder Opals - Queensland boulder opals are really unique, as they form within ironstone rocks or 'boulders' with dark brown body colours. The boulders are broken open to reveal bright colourful opal veins with distinctive patterns running through the natural host rock. Boulder opals offer a rugged and earthy beauty that is truly captivating.
5. Fire Opals - Fire opals are known for their vivid orange, red or yellow body colour. Reminiscent of a flickering flames, fire opals can bring warmth and passion to any jewellery piece.
Each type of opal we set into a ring has its own allure and charm, but the choice of stone ultimately depends on your personal preference and style. Whether you're drawn to the elegant beauty of white opals or the intense brilliance of black opals, there is a stone - and an opal ring - that will capture your heart.
What to Consider When Buying Opal Rings
When buying opal engagement rings, it's important to remember not all are created equally. Here are the most important factors to consider when investing in a high-quality piece that will stand the test of time - and your marriage.
1. Colour - 'Play of colour' is the most distinctive and valued feature of opals. Look for opals that have a vibrant and varied range of bright, evenly distributed hues and patterns, with no dull or washed-out areas.
2. Clarity - Like all gemstones, opals can have natural inclusions and internal fractures, which are part of their character and demonstrate they are a real versus fake stone. However, too many cracks or cloudiness affects the overall beauty, durability and value of the stone. Remember to only choose opals that have good clarity and minimal flaws.
3. Cut - The shape of an opal can greatly impact its overall appearance, and how it will be set into a ring. Look for well-proportioned and symmetrical cuts that enhance its play of colour. Avoid opals that have been poorly cut or have too high a dome, as this may cause uneven colour distribution and be limit your setting options.
4. Setting - Opal is softer than other gemstones like diamonds and sapphires, so the ring setting should be secure and protect it from damage. A bezel setting, where the edges of the opal are enclosed, holds the stone firmly in place while allowing for the most light exposure. Claw settings are also commonly used for opal rings, as they visually maximises the size of the stone and it's easier to admire from all angles.
5. Metal - Metals used in the ring setting should be of the highest quality and complement the opal. Popular choices include sterling silver, yellow gold, white gold and rose gold. Consider the durability and hypoallergenic properties of the metal, as well as its ability to enhance the opal's beauty.
Popular Designs For All Styles
Opal engagement rings come in a wide range of designs, from classic solitaires to intricate vintage-inspired settings. Here are some popular opal ring designs to inspire your search for the perfect piece:
1. Solitaire Opal Rings - Simple and elegant, solitaire opal rings feature a single opal gemstone as the centrepiece. This timeless design allows the opal's beauty to shine in the spotlight and take centre stage, making it the perfect choice for a lifetime commitment.
2. Halo Opal Rings - These rings feature a circle of smaller gemstones, such as diamonds or coloured gemstones, surrounding the opal, creating a halo effect (hence the name). This design adds sparkle and accentuates the opal's brilliance, making it a popular choice for those who love a touch of glamour.
3. Vintage Opal Rings - Vintage-inspired pieces often feature intricate filigree work, engraving or milgrain detailing. These designs evoke a sense of nostalgia and timeless elegance, perfect for those who appreciate the charm of bygone eras.
4. Opal Cluster Rings - Featuring multiple opals arranged in a cluster or floral design, this style creates a bold and eye-catching look, perfect for those who want to make a statement.
5. Opal and Diamond Rings - Rings that combine the ethereal beauty of opals with the timeless sparkle of diamonds showcase a stunning and harmonious combination. The contrast between the opal's shimmering play of colour and the diamond's brilliance is a favourite for our customers.
Opal Ring Styling Tips
Rings set with opals are versatile and can be styled in various ways to complement different outfits and occasions, including the moment he or she pops the question. Here are some styling tips to help you make the most of your fabulous opal ring:
1. Minimalist Elegance - For an elegant, timeless look, wear a solitaire opal ring in gold or silver on its own. This allows the beautiful opal to be the focal point and creates a refined and understated style.
2. Stacked Delight - Create a trendy and personalised look by stacking multiple opal rings. Mix and match different designs, metals, and opal types to create a unique and eye-catching combination.
3. Contrasting Colours - Pair your opal ring with other gemstone jewellery to create a striking and on-trend contrast. Opals look particularly stunning when combined with diamonds, sapphires, or emeralds.
4. Bohemian Chic - Embrace your inner bohemian spirit by layering your opal ring with other delicate and dainty rings. Mix different metals and styles to create a fashionable and effortlessly chic look.
5. Formal Glamour - Make an impression at formal events by pairing your opal ring with a matching opal necklace or opal earrings. This creates a co-ordinated and glamorous look that is sure to turn heads.
Remember, there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to styling your opal ring. Experiment with different combinations and trust your instincts to create a look that reflects your personal style and makes you feel confident and beautiful.
WHY BUY AN OPAL ENGAGEMENT RING FROM BLACK STAR OPAL?
Black Star Opal is a specialty online jewellery and gemstone boutique that offers some of the finest opal engagement rings available on the market today. If you're searching for a specific type of opal stone, we have a wide variety of colours and cuts from which you can choose. We also offer custom pieces if you would like something unique or special made just for your needs. Our expert opal team is always happy to help customers find exactly what they need in terms of jewelry or opal gemstones, no matter how big or small the order.
Quality ethically sourced, natural Australian opal gemstones and opal jewellery at reasonable prices is what we pride ourselves on. We have been a member of the Australian opal industry since 1969, originally as opal miners and global exporters of Lightning Ridge opal. As an established and reputable wholesale and retail opal gemstone business, we are directly connected to an extensive network of Australian opal miners in Lighting Ridge, Coober Pedy and the opal fields of Queensland. We also work closely with expert opal jewellery designers and manufacturers. This ensures our products are sourced directly from the miner, and our jewellery prices remain competitive and affordable for all budgets.
We stand by our opal engagement rings with a 30-day money back guarantee. If your purchase is not quite what you were after, or you’d like to exchange for another item, we’re more than happy to help. We love seeing our customers happy and satisfied, and are pleased to assist with any questions you have about Australian opals or our opal, gemstone and crystal jewellery.
OPAL ENGAGEMENT RING DELIVERY AND SHIPPING INFORMATION
Black Star Opal offers a convenient worldwide delivery service to wherever you need to send opal engagement rings. We take care of the cost of standard worldwide shipping for all orders over AUD $200 and provide free insurance for all orders over approximately AUD $600 to protect against theft, loss or damage during delivery. Express domestic and international shipping options are available for a small additional fee.
Shipping is provided through Australia's national postal service, Australia Post, which offers a range of convenient delivery solutions. Parcels sent within Australia are shipped via Parcel Post or Express Post, which features a unique tracking number and may require a signature on delivery. Parcels sent outside Australia are shipped via International Standard or International Express Air Mail, which also features a unique tracking number and may require signature on delivery. We can also ship globally through FedEx upon request, however this will incur an extra cost that will vary depending on your location.
Once your order is shipped you will receive a confirmation email with a tracking number. You can enter your tracking number here to follow your order's progress to your door. Standard delivery to most countries is usually less than two weeks, while delivery within Australia is usually between two to four working days. Due to current global Covid-related shipping issues, Black Star Opal cannot guarantee the above delivery times. We recommend you check the Australia Post website for up to date shipping estimates before ordering. Approximate shipping timelines provided do not include additional time your package may be held by customs for clearance in your country. Please note: Black Star Opal is not liable for any extra duties or taxes your country may charge on an imported item. It is the responsibility of the customer to research and pay any additional charges in their country.
If you have any queries about our engagement rings with opal delivery service or shipping policy, please get in touch with our friendly team - we are here to help and love assisting with any questions you may have.